Today is World Alzheimer’s Day!
Today is World Alzheimer’s Day, a day to reflect on the global dementia challenge and also to focus on the steps we can all take to support people with dementia. There are nearly 50 million people with dementia worldwide and this number is set to treble by 2050.
At BDB we recently became Dementia Friends with the help of Dawn Plant, Trust and Estate Practitioner at Pavilion Row and Dementia Friend Champion.
The Alzheimer’s Society’s Dementia Friends programme is the biggest ever initiative to change people’s perceptions of dementia in England and Wales. It aims to transform the way the nation thinks, acts and talks about the condition.
Everyone, from governments and health boards to the local corner shop and hairdressers share part of the responsibility for ensuring that people with dementia feel understood, valued and able to contribute to their community.
Becoming Dementia Friends means that the BDB team is better prepared to assist vulnerable clients as well of those with relatives suffering from Dementia. It also gives us the knowledge and confidence to help in any small way we can, inside and outside of work.
You can be a Dementia Friend too! Every action counts. Here are a few actions you could take today:
- Get in touch and stay in touch with someone you know living with dementia
- Volunteer for an organisation that helps people with dementia
- Campaign for change e.g. by signing up to Alzheimer’s Society’s campaigns
- Tell 5 friends about the Dementia Friends initiative
- Carry out a personal action e.g. Be more patient when out in my community